Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Airplane Ride

Today, Dena told me she was taking me on a special trip. She said it was going to be long and that we would be riding in an airplane, Like cars, airplanes have seat belts and for safety, I had to buckle up for take-off.


It was so exciting! I got to sit in a window seat. Before we left the airport, I saw some other airplanes parked next to us. Can you guess where we were going?


IRELAND!


Ireland is the third-largest island in Europe, and the twentieth-largest island in the world. It lies to the north-west of continental Europe and is surrounded by hundreds of islands and islets. To the east of Ireland, separated by the Irish Sea, is the island of Great Britain.

Trying to figure out the time zones was a little confusing. Washington state is 8 hours behind Ireland. We had been traveling for twelve hours. In Washington it was 4 in the morning and in Dublin it was 11AM. I actually watched the sunrise from the airplane window.

I soon found out we were going to be landing in Dublin.


Dublin airport opened in 1940. It has only 2 runways, but serviced 23.5 million passengers in 2008. It’s a busy place! We went through customs and got our passports stamped and then it was off to catch a bus to the hotel. As you can see, the buses have two levels and they drive on the left side of the road!

We were very tired when we arrived at the hotel, so we decided to get some sleep. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!